Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Loads to Learn

Lesson 5 - 4.7 hours

My last lesson was a lot of fun! I felt pretty comfortable at the controls, on the radio, and I felt rudder pressure. I really felt somewhat capable of handling an airplane. So after a quick review today, we headed back up in the air. And I felt good about it.

Then I actually had to fly. Honestly, I feel like everything I've learned in theory goes right out the window once I am at the controls. But when I look back to my first lesson, I realize that I have internalized some of it. Turns feel very natural now, and planned maneuvers are pretty solid. However, I don't do so well when I am buffeted by updrafts or crosswinds - I tend to over-correct, and then I tense all my muscles. I can't do that! Jeff had to sternly warn me quite a bit today, as I was really tight on the controls.

There's a delicate balance between allowing the plane to fly as its wont to do, and me telling it what I want it to do. I need to make sure it's trimmed properly, which means I need a better understanding of how and when to trim it. I also need to relax my shoulders and allow my fingers and forearm to do the work. But I also need to be firm with the controls. Ach! I really need to figure this out so I don't get yelled at in the cockpit.

Today was interesting, at least. I felt like I decided what to do, where to go, and how to get there. I made a few more radio calls than I usually do, but I am still not fully confident with that. Plus, there's so much going on at once, I don't want to miss the really important steps. So we worked on pattern work, which we'd done last time as well, and I felt much more comfortable with my position relative to the runway. I was aware of the steps needed, but I wasn't always fully prepared to follow through. Keeping my nose up and maintaining airspeed was really hard for me today, and I didn't feel that those had been issues before, but as I progress, I realize how much more I have to learn. Especially when I felt I was making a decent approach on final, and Jeff reprimanded me that we were "headed toward death in the trees." Maintaining focus will probably be the hardest part of this.

While last lesson was really fun, and I felt I did well, I really appreciate this one more. First, I needed the feedback - when I did well, I was commended. It was really nice to hear "Well done" a few times. When I did not do well, I was reminded of correct procedures, instead of Jeff just taking control himself. Not as nice, but still beneficial. Now I have concrete examples of what I messed up on, and can learn from those mistakes. Unfortunately, the best way to correct them is through more practice, and that's not exactly feasible, as I can't afford the recommended 3 flights a week. Or even more than once every two weeks.

So in the meantime, I get to read and study, and mentally go through the procedures until I have them down. Then, maybe, go-time will be just implementing what I already know.

No comments:

Post a Comment