Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Homework

Since I cannot practice in an airplane as often as I would like, the next best thing is studying. I started out strong with my reading, but I have tapered off over the past few weeks. Partly due to busyness with kids and life, partly due to information overload without an outlet, but primarily laziness. I think that showed in my last lesson, as I know I wasn't mentally or intellectually prepared.

So Jeff gave me homework. Study the procedures, be aware of my responses to the controls, and be prepared for how the plane will react to various forces. A lot of that does come with practice, but there is also a bunch of theory that the FAA has deemed important for every airman to know. The good news is that this information can all be found in FAA publications. The bad news is, it's a lot, and not always the best organized. I can prepare for the written test at my own pace, but sometimes I feel like I will never reach that point.

So tonight I started testing myself. We have a program that generates sample test questions from any or all of the various topics (aerodynamics, maneuvers, engine, weather, etc). I haven't read up on everything, so I selected a few topics, most of which I'd studied, but I threw in some others to give me an idea of what I don't know. Maybe that wasn't such a great idea, as it was extremely humbling. Especially since some of what I should have known, I missed.

What I really like about this software is that explanations were given for each answer, even the ones I got right. A few answers were correct, but my reasoning behind my answers was incorrect, so it was a really good test not just of my knowledge, but of my understanding. Which is lacking, and that really bothers me. It also really bothers me that Monte has a much better grasp of this than I do, and he knows it.

My goal is to score 100% on my practical test (which can be done!), and I am nowhere near that. I have time, though. I want to learn this well, and have it so ingrained in me that I could pass the test 5, 10, or 15 years down the road if asked. I have always been a great test-taker, but I haven't always retained that knowledge. This is far more important than regurgitating the dates of "important" wars in history. 

So now I know - I need to study more, but also better. This will probably be the hardest and most rewarding thing I ever do, besides parenting. At least with this, I have quantifiable evidence of my progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment