Friday, May 15, 2015

Weather delays

I scheduled my third lesson for Tuesday, 12 days later. I studied a ton, and was so ready to put what I'd learned into practice. So imagine my disappointment when I woke up to winds of 20 mph, with forecasted gusts up to 30 mph. That's doable for a more experienced pilot, but hey, I am not. So we rescheduled for today (Friday), which was supposed to be a beautiful day. Again, my plans were thwarted by impending thunderstorms. So we scheduled for the following week, Tuesday and Friday.

I was already feeling so overwhelmed from the studying, and not being able to do anything with the book knowledge was really starting to get to me. I was feeling so inadequate already, and the weather delays were somehow feeding my insecurities. What if I really couldn't do this? What if I was just making excuses so I wouldn't be tested? What if no else believed I could do this, either? Now I know why beginning students are encouraged to fly often - practice, of course, plus there's also no time for doubts to take hold.

Monte has been a wonderful encouragement to me. He reminds me that he felt overwhelmed at first, and that he also questioned his abilities. He is one of Jeff's best students, but he started out the same as I did. It is nice to know that I am not alone, and he gives me hope that I can do this, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment